My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.keynote2keynote.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, February 4, 2007

Search For The Perfect Bluetooth Mouse

Let me start by saying that the track pad on the MBP is large and responsive. The button also clicks very nicely and is quiet. In most cases this is the only pointing device that you'll ever need. For some instances (gaming, photo work, etc) when you need a bit more precision or another button or two, having a mouse is nice. Everyone has their own opinions on what is the most important criterea when choosing a mouse and I'm no different. Here's what I want in a prospective mouse.

  • Wireless - I've got a computer that can be used without a power cable, internet that doesn't require a wire... why not a wireless mouse as well?
  • No Dongle/Base - If you've looked around at wireless mice you'll notice that most come with some sort of base to recharge and connect the mouse, or a usb dongle. RF mice require one of the two. Bluetooth mice do not since my MBP has built in Bluetooth. Why buy a wireless mouse and then deal with something that plugs into your computer. Not only that, but its just another thing to carry with you when you travel.
  • Working Buttons - Another thing you'll notice when researching Bluetooth mice is that many of them have numerous issues with OS X. In most cases all the extra buttons on the mice don't work. I can't justify buying a product that doesn't do what its advertised to do no matter how many cool buttons or lights it has.
  • Power Consumption - Whats the point in buying a wireless mouse if the batteries are always dead or if its gotta sit in a charging cradle. I don't want to spend a ton of money on batteries so a way to recharge the mouse would be nice. The mouse must have an on/off button to keep it from waking up during travel.
  • Size - I can't stand insanely small or overly large mice.

With this criteria in mind I've settled on the RadTech BT600. I looked at many different mice from a wide variety of vendors and this mouse seemed to fit my needs the best. I've been using Logitech mice for as long as I can remember, but the only Bluetooth mouse in their current lineup just doesn't cut it in my opinion. Microsoft didn't have anything that sparked my interest either. Apples Bluetooth Mighty Mouse just isn't my cup of tea.

The BT600 is average sized and boasts Bluetooth. From what I've read all 4 buttons and the scroll wheel work fine in OS X. My favorite feature about the mouse is how its powered. The BT600 uses 2xAA NiMH batteries that can be swapped out for regular alkaline batteries in emergencies. You'll know when you need to recharge via the integrated status meter in the scroll wheel. The best part is the NiMH batteries are charged via a standard USB cable. Unlike charging docks, you can still use the mouse while its charging!

The only negative aspect of the mouse that I could dig up was that some people thought the buttons felt a little 'cheap'. I'm used to the great build quality of Logitech mice so I hope it doesn't feel 'too' cheap. I'm willing to overlook a 'little' cheap feeling if all the other features live up to their potential. I'll report back when I receive the mouse and give it a test drive :)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At February 7, 2007 at 2:40 PM , Blogger Scott R. said...

I use the RadTech BT600 with my Powerbook and I love it. You've made a great choice!

~Scott
www.thedigitalblue.com

 
At February 7, 2007 at 4:28 PM , Blogger Nick Young said...

Yeah, I can't wait for it to get here :) The mouse seems like it has everything that a wireless mouse should have in my opinion. I hope it lives up to my expectations.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home